Friday, June 1, 2018

Meet the Candidates: James McKeown for State Senior Councilor

Convention is soon approaching, and we have more candidates to get to know. We have two candidates for the office of State Senior Councilor. The second is Bro. James McKeown of Friendship-Bray Chapter.

If somehow you don’t know who I am, then let me enlighten you; I’m James McKeown and I am running for the office of State Senior Councilor.

I’ve been a member of Friendship-Bray Chapter for three years now, and wow has it been one wild ride. The whole DeMolay experience itself has helped me through the hardships of growing up. While I can heartily say that I’d be almost the exact same man that I am today without DeMolay, it’s that little sliver that wouldn’t be, that I can 100% contribute to DeMolay. It has helped create in me a sense of fulfillment and belonging that I couldn’t find elsewhere. Now I can sit down and recognize that I have a place in this world. That what I do, matters. I’m not the only person who can say this about DeMolay, but I know that I’m extremely grateful for this gift. Because I realize all of what DeMolay has given me, I look forward to making sure that every single DeMolay finds their own sliver.

What is your greatest DeMolay experience or accomplishment? 
My greatest experience in DeMolay has to be going to Arnold’s Family Fun Center with my Chapter. It wasn’t my greatest experience because of the way it was planned or the center itself, but rather because I not only got to spend some quality time with some brothers in my chapter, but it helped me realize something; that DeMolay is supposed to be fun. I don’t mean that we should just make DeMolay fun, but I feel like we need to put more emphasis on the fun aspects of DeMolay. At the end of the day we should enjoy the short time that we have as members.

Who are some of your DeMolay influences and how have they inspired you? My greatest influence in DeMolay, is “Dad” Mike McKee. He has taught me so many life lessons that I could fill an entire book. However, the most important thing he has taught me, by his example, is to be yourself. I probably don’t need to tell you that we live in a time where being fake or disloyal is the norm. “Dad” McKee has helped me come to the realization that being true to yourself is the only correct way to go and live your life.

What are your goals if elected to serve as a State Officer?
If elected, I would like to focus on three main goals. The first and most important goal of them all is pushing the programs and events that the State Master Councilor has put in the term for this upcoming year. The second goal is to make the DeMolay experience more fun without taking from the general purposes of DeMolay. The third goal is to set up an environment that everyone can be comfortable learning in.

The registration deadline for Convention is June 10th. Make sure you are there for your chance to vote for your Elected State Officers. See you in Gettysburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment