Thursday, May 24, 2018

Meet the Candidates: Dylan Kirk for Deputy State Master Councilor


It's almost time for the annual PA DeMolay Convention, so why not get to know our candidates for State Office. We have two candidates for the office of Deputy State Master Councilor. Here is our first, Bro. Dylan Kirk of Westmoreland Chapter. 

Hello! My name is Dylan Kirk and I have been a member of Westmoreland Chapter for nearly five years. I've spent the last two years as an Elected State Officer, currently serving as State Senior Councilor. I am 17 years old and finishing my junior year of high school. I am running for the office of Deputy State Master Councilor to further my DeMolay experience and to give back as much as I can. After serving one term as Master Councilor in my home chapter, I believed it was time for me to further my experience and join the state line. In larger chapters, once you become Master Councilor, that’s the extent you can go since you have new members wanting to move into the chairs. So, although I am still active in my chapter, I try to act as a leader to the newer DeMolay members and let them run the chapter. After all, they are the future.

What is your greatest DeMolay experience or accomplishment?
My greatest DeMolay experience or accomplishment would have to be becoming an ESO. It has taught me so many things like planning events, creating and meeting deadlines, time management, and one which I have improved a lot in, being able to speak off the cuff. Along with being an ESO you get to meet so many people, especially the DeMolay members. It’s great to talk to them at events and get to know them, knowing that I could be someone they look up to, that inspires me to be a good leader.

Who are some of your DeMolay influences and how have they inspired you?
I have had so many influences in DeMolay. Several Advisors, DeMolays, past State Officers. They have all influenced me and taught me many things. I don’t think I would be the person I am today without them.

What are your goals if elected to serve as a State Officer?
My goals if elected to serve as DSMC are to help unify the state and spend time with the West, helping them grow stronger. I want to contribute to individual growth, this is something that has been somewhat lost in DeMolay. Many members are just in DeMolay to have fun, which is great, but that’s not the only purpose of DeMolay. So I hope to encourage teaching the virtues of DeMolays and bettering members.

No comments:

Post a Comment