Monday, January 18, 2010

Almost 60 Years and Still Going!


DeMolay can really create some truly outstanding individuals. Those people then go on to create truly outstanding memories. This past weekend Pennsylvania DeMolay hosted its annual Volleyball Tournament, and I can certainly say it created a memory in me.

I'll be the first to admit that the sports tournaments aren't my passion. However, I do recognize they have a place in the DeMolay program, and for good reason. To each his own, right? Sometimes competition can bring out the worst in people, and sometimes it can bring out the best. This Volleyball tournament certainly brought out the best in one advisor.

I was exiting Memorial Hall on Saturday afternoon when I noticed some folks on the tennis courts. What I saw will stick with me forever. There, outside, working with the fellows from Susquehanna Chapter was "Dad" Les Loomis. "Dad" Loomis will be the first to admit that he's not the youngest pup on the block. We won't tell you how old he is, but he did mention something about a 60 year pin for DeMolay!

So here was a man, who is many years older than the average DeMolay, out on the tennis court, running the Chapter through bump, set, spike, and running drills. I immediately thought to myself "Wow... now that's a dedicated Advisor. That's what the DeMolay program is all about." I continued to reflect on that thought throughout the day. I've seen many advisors who just come to a sports weekend, hope their Chapter team does well, and let the chips fall where they may. But here, HERE was advisor who really cared, and wanted to spend time with his guys. Then I again realized how great the difference in age between "Dad" Loomis and the young men was. There was man from a different generation, lending his talents and abilities to teach young people. All I can do is smile when I think about this.

"Dad" Loomis isn't just involved in DeMolay though. He is also very involved in his local Masonic community, and has served the York Rite of Freemasonry with great distinction. Last year he served as Right Eminent Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of Pennsylvania. Even during his tenure in that office, he still took time out to come to Advisory Council meetings and help the Susquehanna guys with their programs.

I've looked up to "Dad" Loomis for a long time... and not just because he's taller than me! This weekend really cemented in my mind the effect that "Dad" Loomis has had with me, and with Susquehanna Chapter. As I continue my journey in Freemasonry I can only hope that I can serve the Masonic family as well as he has.

Thank you "Dad" Les Loomis for all you do!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth Anthony