Paul Miller Moore, originally from New Concord, Ohio, moved to Aliquippa, Pa in 1906, which was then known as Woodlawn. He was the first labor foreman in the construction of J & L Steel, P. M. Moore started the P M Moore Company in 1912, constructing many of the neighborhood houses for the steel workers. These homes, which were completed at a one per day rate, included a living room, dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms, a bathroom and indoor plumbing.
Moore was one of the organizers of the Woodlawn Trust Company. He served as President until the company merged with Mellon Bank and Trust. He was also one of the organizers of Woodlawn Building and Loan and served as its Director. He was a member of Woodlawn Presbyterian Church, serving as the President of the Board of Trustees for twenty years. He helped found the Aliquippa Rotary Club, the Aliquippa Concert Band and was one of the organizers of the Boy Scouting movement and local chairman. Moore was presented the 1957 "Man of the Year" award by the people of Aliquippa.
Moore was a Warrant Officer for the Woodlawn Masonic Lodge, which at the time met as an organization known as the Woodlawn Fraternity Club. After sending a petition to the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, they were granted a Charter on March 15, 1913, being constituted as Woodlawn Lodge No. 672. Moore became the second Worshipful Master of the lodge in 1914 and paid off the lodge mortgage debt in 1962.
Paul Miller Moore was also a member and Past Commander of the Knights Templar, Beaver Valley Commandery No. 84. He later became the Grand Commander of Pennsylvania in 1939 and then served as the Grand Master of the Grand Encampment of the United States of America from 1961 to 1963.
Moore died in 1964 on Good Friday Evening. At the time of passing, he was in Washington to attend the Knights Templar Easter Sunrise Services at Arlington Cemetary. As the Commandery is a big supporter of the Masonic youth groups, especially in the Pittsburgh area, it comes as no surprise to why the Legion of Honor members of Butler named their Preceptory after Paul Miller Moore.
Until next time - "Dad" Joe Pullin