Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Key to Time

As we celebrate the new year, I'm reminded that we are really celebrating the passing of time. We spend New Year's Day looking back on 2014 and forward to 2015. It seems only appropriate that today's post deals not only with time, but with an article I posted earlier this year.

Back in January (almost a year ago now), I wrote a piece about watch keys, entitled "The Key to What?" In that article, I talked about the history of keys as they relate to DeMolay and their actual use. One of the pictures I used was of a PSMC's Key that was presented to Bro. K.C. Bare upon the completion of his term of office in 1935. It was a very interesting article of regalia that I'd never seen anywhere else.

Well, lo and behold, this Christmas I was surprised with the gift of a DeMolay watch key of my own. Hailing from the same era, but with a slightly different design, I presume this key to be for a Past Master Councilor. It's made of sterling silver and is fairly large. All of  the seed pearls are intact, but sadly four other stones have fallen out over the years (as evidenced by their empty settings on the bottom.) Regardless, it's a unique and beautiful piece of DeMolay history that's approaching 100 years old. I'll certainly be proud to wear it, that's for sure!

Enjoy your holiday and I look forward to seeing you in 2015!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth C. Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment