Monday, March 3, 2014

How do you recruit?

FYI - this recruitment technique rarely works.
Recruiting new members is one the most vital parts to DeMolay. It's also one of the hardest. I can remember when I was a State Officer thinking "Yeesh, all we ever seem to talk about is membership. Can't we discuss something else once in a while?" Like many DeMolays, I knew how important memership was, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about fixing the problem. The last thing I wanted was some Advisor breathing down my neck about why I wasn't bringing any of my friends into the organization. As I became older and involved with the Masonic Fraternity, I found the message much the same. But, how I was supposed to get my friends interested?

Then, like a lightening bolt, I hit on the recruitment technique that has done wonders for me over the past few years and it's one of the easiet out there - tell them what they want to hear! 

Wait, wait, wait - you're thinking that I'm telling you lie or make things up. That's not what I'm saying at all. For instance, I had a friend express interest in joining Freemasonry. I asked him about why he wanted to join. He talked to me about his perceptions of the Fraternity and how it did so many good, charitable deeds. He wanted to be involved in an organization that did those kinds of things. As we talked, I made sure to reinforce those aspects of charity to him, discussing all of the programs that Freemasonry offers that help our local communities. Before I knew it, he was joining my Lodge and sitting in the chairs.

But, this man already expressed interest. How does one get someone interested who knows nothing at all about the organization? Again, listen to what interests them. If a guy loves basketball, then talk up the PA DeMolay basketball tournament and how much fun you have there. If a guy is really into drama or acting, tell him about this awesome play you saw when you joined DeMolay. Making a connection between what we do and what interests a perspective member is the easiest way to get them interested in joining.

As is often said, without new members, our organization will cease to exist entirely in 9 years. All it takes to exten its life is you and your friends having a good time and enjoying what DeMolay has to offer. I know you can do it - so go recruit a member!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment