Monday, January 31, 2011

Membership, Membership, Membership

When I was involved as an active DeMolay there was one thing that I detested above many others. The constant barrage about membership. "You need to get more members" they'd tell me. "Ask your friends to join" they'd say. It wasn't long until I tired of this message. I bet that you, as an active DeMolay or Advisor, are probably tired of hearing it too. But, you know what? It's that important that we have to keep repeating it. Sometimes is was easy to think "What is DeMolay really about? Just recruiting more members?" We all know that it's not. However, if we don't keep a constant stream of new members coming to the organization it will cease to exist. It's that simple.

As an example of what I'm talking about, I'm going to share with you the following article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-01-31-masons31_ST_N.htm

Written for a recent edition of USA today, it describes the plight of fraternal organizations and how they are dealing with a loss of membership. Give it a good read and pay special attention to the numbers. Think about how that could effect DeMolay.

What do you think we need to do to attract more members? Post your reply in the comments section!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment