Thursday, November 11, 2010

We Didn't Start the Fire

I'll admit it. I'm a raving fan boy. For what you might ask? Not movies, or television shows, or even comics, but for Freemasonry. Last night I got to spend some time with someone who is as close to a rock star as Freemasonry is ever going to get - Bro. Chris Hodapp, the author of Freemasons for Dummies and several other books on the Fraternity. Bro. Hodapp was the guest speaker at the annual banquet of Abraham C. Treichler Lodge No. 682, here in Elizabethtown. Wow! What a dynamic and entertaining guy!

I had the amazing chance to have dinner with Bro. Hodapp before he spoke and found him to be truly genuine and personable. He told us about his travels, his family, his feelings on the Fraternity, and more. He was very friendly and a great conversationalist during dinner. When he was called on to speak, he did so with a fire and a passion rarely seen in the fraternity. He spoke from the heart, about the future of the Craft, the challenges ahead, and the opportunities before us. He received a standing ovation and the line to buy copies of his books was out the door!

Later in the evening I had a chance to talk to him, one on one, about some other Masonic topics. He gave me some great ideas for when I get a chance to lead a Masonic body and rekindled my passion for Freemasonry. While this is all well and good, what does it have to do with DeMolay?

DeMolays have exactly nine years to be a member of the Order. For a twleve year old, nine years seems like an eternity. But, believe me, it's the fastest nine years you'll ever know (that's if you join at twelve!) I've seen it happen, time and time again, a twelve year old is put through the works in his Chapter, he becomes Master Councilor, gets burnt out, and leaves DeMolay behind. Then, at 20, he comes back around, or is perhaps honored with a the Chevalier Degree, and says "Man, I wish I would have stayed involved." His passion for DeMolay had gone out. But something like the Chevalier Degree brought it back to life, just a little too late.

DeMolay can be an all consuming thing. It's easy to give all your free time over to the group, but that is the wrong thing to do. That is how you get burnt out. You have to keep hobbies and friends outside of DeMolay and take some time away when you need to. As I have told the Elected State Officers, I live, breathe, eat, and sleep DeMolay and Freemasonry. I love what I do, but I have to keep myself sane. I have hobbies outside of Masonry. Some may laugh at them, but it provides the escape that I need to recharge my batteries, and that's okay. I'll fully admit that I am really terrible at knowing when to take a break, but I'm getting better at it, and I'm seeing a difference in the process.

Sometimes the recharge comes from a hobby and sometimes it comes from a experience, such as what Bro. Hodapp created last night. Either way, if you are feeling burnt out or your fire is dwindling, take some time away. But, make sure you come back and see if the fire is still there, whether that be in 6 months, or a year, or more. Talk to your Brothers and your advisors. See if they can help re-light that fire. Membership in DeMolay is for life... never take that for granted!

Frat!~"Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment