Thursday, October 21, 2010

Jacques the Vote

Last week I found myself in front of a television that was playing the local news. You may ask "Why is that so important?" Well, long story short, I don't have cable. In fact, I only get one channel, which I've never watched. You read that correctly - I don't watch much television.  Now, I have a fairly prodigious DVD collection, but I probably watch less than 10 hours a week of television at a max (including DVD's.) Most weeks I'd say that I watch around 5, tops. So, the fact that I was watching TV was a little out of the ordinary.

The program I was watching was the eleven o'clock news. Without getting on to a soap box, I will say that I abhor what the news has become. It's 17 minutes of a crime report, 4 minutes of weather, and 2 minutes of other stuff. Newspapers aren't much better either. However, this news program wasn't what really irked me that night. It was the commercials, or, more precisely, the campaign advertisements. One of the benefits of not watching TV is that you don't have to put up with these terrible ads. I believe that I can recreate those ads, in my own words, for you right now:

Ad 1:

Candidate number 1 is a terrible person. He votes the way other people do and doesn't listen to you. Also, he beats puppies (jokingly, of course.)In real life it looks something like this.




Ad 2:

Candidate number 2 has no character. He spends money without thinking and doesn't listen to you. Also, he beats kittens. (again, a joke.) In real life it looks something like this.



These sorts of ads played out during every commericial break. Eventually I just turned the TV off (I was in a public waiting room mind you.) To say I was annoyed would be putting a nice polish on the situation. I was very glad that I don't watch more TV than I do, that's for sure.

However, this doesn't mean I won't vote. If I don't vote, I don't get a voice. I may not like either candidate, or what they stand for, but if I don't vote then I don't matter. One of the biggest political challenges for my / our generation is the concept that since we don't vote, we don't care, and if we don't care, we don't matter. I call foul on that concept. We matter. We pay taxes just like the next guy. It may not be as much or as often, but we pay all the same. Therefore, we get a say. However, if we don't vote, then we can't complain.

DeMolay teaches patriotism on all levels. From times of war to times of peace, being a patriot is an important ideal for us as DeMolays. Part of being a patriot is participating in and caring about your country's electoral process. If you haven't registered to vote in this election, then you're too late, but if you have, I encourage you to go out to your polling place and vote. Not just for DeMolay, or your country, but for you, so that your voice can be heard. This election is one where single votes can matter. While it's not as flashy as a presidential election, it certainly is more important to us as Pennsylvanians. We are electing a Senator, several Congressmen, and a Governor. Now, more than ever, your vote is important. Don't just go out and vote for generic Republican A or model Democrat B! Research your candidates and vote for the one that does a better job of reflecting your views. You're not going to agree with them on everything, but the more big issues you can agree with them on, the better.

Another important point to make here is that I am not advocating a disucssion of politics in your Chapter or in your Lodge. I'm advocating a discussion of the process and it's importance. Politics has no place in the Fraternity, but patriotism in the form of democratic participation does. It's why our country gave you a choice - use it!

Jacques the vote!

Frat!~"Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment