Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Embracing Change


The Following blog post is from Brother Sean Reitze, State Junior Councilor of Pennsylvania DeMolay and PMC of Pilgrim Chapter. 

Change: it exists in all of our lives.

I currently attend West Chester University and I am nearing the end of my sophomore year. I entered West Chester as a computer science major and I decided to add some minors since then, which include: Spanish, communication studies, and civic & professional leadership. Even though I wasn’t expecting it to happen, this semester I have decided that I am changing my major to communication studies and keep computer science as a minor. Essentially, this is a flip/flop of my major and minor course of study.

Even as soon as the spring semester of my freshman year, it’s been in the back of my head that maybe computer science isn’t right for me. Yes, I am very interested in technology -- but am I really that interested or passionate about the inner workings of computers, programming, or networks? As time has passed, the answer started to become more clear, but I wasn’t sure what path I wanted to take -- that is, until I attended the annual graduate school fair.

During my visit at the graduate school fair, I visited booths from different universities and asked about their computer science master’s program. Their offerings sounded okay, but nothing particularly stood out to me. On a whim, I decided to visit one of Temple University’s booths for the Klein College of Media and Communication. After listening to their representative and seeing the different programs and opportunities available, the light bulb finally went off: I should look into changing my major to communication studies. It all started to come together and make sense -- I found my Intro to Communication Theory class last semester very meaningful and interesting, I’m passionate about media and production, and enjoy my radio show on WCUR. After graduation, I see myself in those career areas.

After talking with my Advisor and doing some research into the major requirements, I have decided to follow through and change my major to communication studies for next semester. Not only would I be more interested and happier with what I’m studying, but I am also still able to graduate on time! Beyond what the registrar sees on my record, there lies a deeper message within this process: sometimes, change can be nerve-racking and create uncertainty at times. Whether it’s a change of schools, a new job, a move, or changing your major like me, it’s important to keep a positive mindset during the process. Keep that positive mindset the next time you find yourself in a situation where change lies ahead.


Sean Reitze, State Junior Councilor

No comments:

Post a Comment