Monday, July 29, 2013

Seven Habits of Dynamite DeMolays

Many of leaders have heard of the "7 Habits of Highly Effective People." It's a great book on leadership and time management, although it's become a bit cliché. Recently, I came across a distillation of this tome, aimed more at kids, that I thought contained some valuable advice for DeMolays. Check it out!
You're in Charge
I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
Have a Plan
I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my Chapter and contribute to my Chapter’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
Work First, Then Play
I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.

Everyone Can Win
I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
Listen Before You Talk
I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
Together Is Better
I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different than me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than anyone of us can alone. I am humble.

Balance Feels Best
I take care of my body by eating right, exercising and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school. I find meaningful ways to help others.
Practice these traits and you'll be a DeMolay leader in no time!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment