Thursday, June 23, 2016

Meet the Candidates: Andrew Santilli

Convention is right around the corner, which means it will be time to vote for PA DeMolay's Elected State Officers. This series will introduce you to each candidate as they prepare to run for office. They were all asked to provide a short biography and an answer to the three questions below.

My name is Andrew Santilli and I am running for the office of State Senior Councilor for Pennsylvania DeMolay. I am currently 16 years old and a Junior at Marple Newtown High School. I play baseball on a Legion Baseball team, Football for my high school, and Chess (tournaments in Philadelphia). I am highly interested in reading, writing, shooting, hunting, fishing, sports, and video games! My favorite school subjects include Physics, Math, History, and Philosophy. My favorite vacation spot is Vermont, and my favorite food is probably clam chowder. The countryside is the place to be, and I love my 2 dogs, 4 cats, ferret, and guinea pig. 

If you are elected to serve, what do you hope to accomplish?

If elected to the office of State Senior Councilor this coming convention, I hope to accomplish giving back to DeMolay as much as it has given to me, which is a heck of a lot! This might sound cliché, but it’s true; ever since I joined DeMolay, I have developed as a person tremendously and have had more fun than the average teenager. It is my duty as a brother of a world-class order to return this kindness by starting with the simple things like ensuring membership goals are reached, visiting chapters on a regular basis, and generally being a role model and friend to all members. Going slightly further, I hope to sincerely and actively stress our core values as DeMolay’s, meaning that if we do not seriously adhere to our oaths, precepts, and moral guidelines, then we as DeMolays are not living up to the standards of this great order we claim to be part of.

What is your greatest DeMolay experience?

Reflecting on my life as a DeMolay thus far, my greatest DeMolay experience is definitely being elected Master Councilor of Chester Pike Chapter. Having the title opened an infinite amount of doors regarding opportunities, ideas, and people that I can’t begin to pretend I would be where I am without having held a gavel in my hand for a time.  From life lessons to communication skills to growing as an individual, I couldn’t trade this experience for anything even if I tried.

Who are some of your DeMolay influences?

I could write a very long list of DeMolay influences, and it is going to take everything in my power to narrow it down to a few. To start, Mom and Dad Richards took me in as a shy boy when I first came to the chapter; they taught me the ropes and helped mold me into the man I am today. Second, Dad Freedman has been an inspiration to drive forward toward being a better person. Finally, and most importantly, my grandfather has been my ground, my rock, my mentor, and especially my friend through not only my DeMolay career, but my entire life, and most of me as a person would be missing without him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment