Saturday, March 18, 2017

I Promise, Covenant, and Vow

The Order of DeMolay was founded on the basis of the heroic fidelity of Jacques DeMolay. As we all know the story. DeMolay was the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar. He and his principles officers were arrested for various charges, including heresy towards the church. The officers were forced to give up the names of the members that escaped arrest and to hand over their wealth. Jacques DeMolay refused to betray his comrades, no matter the punishment. Despite the torture, DeMolay held true to his word. He was burned at the stake on March 18th, 1314.

As Legionnaires, we took an oath to hold this date close to our hearts. We are expected to observe March 18th of every year as a memorial to Jacques DeMolay with our fellow comrades that have received the Legion of Honor with us. This is the first year that I am observing the Legion of Honor Observance, as I recently received my Legion last July. I'm no stranger to annual observances however, as I helped with the founding of our Chevalier Court in Philadelphia. The best part of my observance this year, is that I will be celebrating it at Patton Campus in Elizabethtown with the young men that make this organization as great as it is today. I will also celebrate this observance locally with William J. McCulley Preceptory next week at their annual observance. 

Thank you Jacques DeMolay, for allowing us to emulate your heroic example. Thank you Frank S. Land, for founding this great youth organization and naming it after such a heroic martyr. To all of my fellow Legionnaires all over the world, I hope you have a great Legion of Honor Observance. 

Until next time -"Dad" Joe Pullin            

No comments:

Post a Comment