Thursday, January 26, 2012

I'm too young! I'm too old! I'm too...

This post is part of series of entries written by the Elected State Officers of PA DeMolay. Each of them have been assigned topics to discuss and offer their opinions on. Today's post is offered by Bro. Anthony Kallhoff, State Junior Councilor. Enjoy!

Finally! It's my senior year of high school! No more tests, no more studying, no more homework! "But what about college?"  AW, COME ON!

Like our ritual states, the wisest young man is one who plans for the future.  For some of us, that means preparing for secondary schooling.  It's not always a fun process, but it is a necessary one for any guy who desires a profession that requires a degree. As I am going through the process of college applications right now, I think I am able to shed a little light on the issue and show what DeMolay has to offer in aiding the process. I also think I can impart some of my wisdom to those whom can benefit from it.

You may be thinking that you are too young to be worrying about college.  You are wrong.  If you are a DeMolay, that means you are at least 12, and I think that it is fair to say that what you do in seventh grade and up will affect how colleges view you.   Good news though, you have already made a smart move in distinguishing yourself as a worthy applicant.  You are already a DeMolay.  Just like Boy Scouts, DeMolay and other leadership organizations showcase your ability to directs others and your willingness to learn.  By living as a DeMolay, furthermore, you display a set of core values that I know personally will impress any university.   When talking to someone in DeMolay of any age, although it works best with kids in high school, don't forget to mention the positive effect DeMolay has on a resume.

While we are on the subject of recruitment, I would be foolish to not mention the great resource that DeMolay offers in the form of scholarships.  The Pennsylvania Masonic Youth Foundation has compiled these scholarships into one handy booklet, the PA Masonic Scholarship Resource Guide (great title, I know.)  Within those pages await thousands of dollars, hundreds of which go unclaimed each year!  Talk about easy money! There are few things that entice people like money, and by bringing along one of these packets to give to a prospect in high school, you make DeMolay that much more appealing.

DeMolay is a tool for preparing for college, but you'll hear about that from other people.  I am more interested in sharing what I have learned and what I believe you should know.   A lot of what I have learned is more of a confirmation of what people have taught me:  get good grades, be active in clubs, stay involved in sports.  One big concept is to always do what you love.  But again, these are all things you'll hear from other people.  What I want to teach you, because it is one thing I regret, is to not put off tomorrow what you could do today.  "But Anthony, we have heard this from others!" Oh shush, no you haven't.  I'm not just talking about a paper or learning a ritual part.  While putting those things off is still a bad idea, I'm speaking about a much deeper sense of procrastination which plagues everyone of any age.  We all have great dreams in our hearts.  As many know, I dream of becoming a physicist one day; a physicist that changes the very way we view the universe.  But like many other things in life, I've found excuses.  I have to wait until college before I know enough to matter.  I need more experience to do science work that anyone cares about.  I'm too busy with other things to work on science.  BALOGNA!  If I truly believe that physics is what I want to do (and I do,) then ANY excuse is not good enough!  We only have a limited time on this earth, and if we dedicate that time to not striving for the best and doing what we love, our lives will quickly turn sour.  You are never too young, or too old, to follow your heart.  When you have a dream, don't let yourself be the thing in your way.  Let me leave you with a quote from Arnold Bennett, an English novelist. "We shall never have more time. We have, and have always had, all the time there is. No object is served in waiting until next week or even until tomorrow. Keep going day in and day out. Concentrate on something useful. Having decided to achieve a task, achieve it at all costs."

College is just around the corner, but if you prepare for a life, and a life of following your dream, any college will be proud to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment