Monday, December 19, 2011

A Passion for Fashion

One thing that I've become more and more passionate about as I age into adulthood is men's fashion. I grew up relatively poor and had to make do with what we had. My first ever suit jacket was purchased so I'd have something to wear to DeMolay. That is a pretty common occurrence for our members today and a reality that many older Advisors and Masons must face. The youth of today haven't been brought up in a society where suits and formal dress were all that important. My upbringing was much the same.

However, when I started working as a professional, I realized the importance of dressing for the occasion. My mentor in this regard has been "Dad" Dennis Snedden, member of the PYF Board of Directors and an Advisor for Steel City Chapter. He has taught me countless little things about how I should dress and for that I'm ever grateful. I've also taken the time to learn on my own and I continue to try to make sure that I look as good as I can whenever I'm representing the fraternity or the Foundation.

The most critical thing I've done is to find a tailor. Yes, I know... most college age or younger guys don't want to spend money or time at a tailor. However, the tailor is your best friend when it comes to how you dress. If something doesn't fit right, he can make it better and if you grow or shrink in size, he can adjust your suits accordingly. Spending $15 to let out a pair of pants is much better than spending $35 on a new pair entirely - not to mention that you'll have a hard time getting fabric and colors to match! Do yourself a favor and establish a relationship with a tailor - it's one of the best decisions you can make!

The other simple thing you can do is to get correctly fitted for a suit and a dress shirt. I don't know how many times I've asked someone for their dress shirt size and I hear "Um, XL, I think." Dress shirts are not sized liked tee shirts and shouldn't be purchased as such. It's very simple to get properly sized; just drop by your favorite department or mens store and they should have someone on hand with a tape measure who can get you all sized up. But, since you're curious as to how the size is established, I've found a couple of great videos to help you:




So, while you're out doing your holiday shopping, do something for yourself that doesn't cost anything - find out your dress shirt and suit sizes!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment