Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Manly Arts

One of the luxuries of my job is the ability to spend some time just perusing the internet for new and innovative ideas to help our PA Masonic Youth Groups. Recently, I was on one of these quests, when I came upon a very interesting website, that turned out to be even better than I thought.

I've written before about the lost knowledge of manhood with the current generation, myself included. Many young men don't have a knowledgable mentor to teach them about cuts of suits, or heck, cuts of meat for that matter! To that end, I came across http://artofmanliness.com/, which is a website dedicated to reviving the manly arts. What can you find there? Well, rather than asking me, you should go take a look! However, for a brief synopsis, you'll find articles about how to wear a boutonniere, how to succeed at a job interview, and even how to make your own aftershave (which I'm working on!) I would heartily recommend this website for any DeMolay. There is even a book that goes with, also titled the Art of Manliness, that is available from Amazon and other book retailers.

While surfing this website, I found out they also have a podcast. I've been a big fan of podcasts for several years now, so I decided to subscribe to it on iTunes and give it a try. As I looked down the list of available shows, lo and behold, I come across one titled The Art of Manliness Podcast #20: Freemasonry and American Manhood with Robert Davis. Holy cats! A show about Freemasonry! I downloaded the program immediately.

When I headed out to Harrisburg that evening, I listened to it while I was stuck in traffic. Wow! Robert Davis hits the nail right on the head! I would only do the man a disservice to try and relate his views, so I'm just going to tell you to listen. If you liked the "Man Making" seminar that PMYF sponsored in Pittsburgh last year, you're going to love this!

So what are you waiting for, get listening!

Frat! ~ "Dad" Seth Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment